Do you want killer abs? I guess the answer is yes for everyone. This is when protein shakes come into the picture. Protein shakes are one of the most informative ingredients in muscle growth and cell repair. It is impossible for some people, especially vegetarians, to complete the protein body requirements using a diet plan. Therefore, consuming protein shakes is necessary to get a lean and athletic body. Now, when should we drink protein shake before or after a workout? There is a huge debate over this topic, and many people want a clear answer! Let’s read this article to know more about pre and post-workout.
What would you prefer: protein shake before or after a workout?
Before we start discussing protein shakes. Let me warn you! If you have a high percentage of protein in your diet plan, there is no point in including protein shake in your diet plan. Adding too much protein to the diet plan will lead to health problems. Yes, doing anything in excess is hazardous. Protein Shakespeare for those who cannot complete their protein intakes with a diet plan, especially vegetarians or those who do not take any meat or dairy products.
Now, which is the perfect timing to take your protein shake before or after a workout?
Well, you would be stunned to know that there is no harm in drinking a protein shake before or after workout. Moreover, both the timings are perfectly fine. It all depends on the human body. If you tell your body to drink a protein shake before workout, it will adjust its function accordingly. However, experts always recommend taking protein shakes after a workout. But, this is not valid for every single person. Do you want to know why? Let us read all about it in the next section of the article!
Protein shake: before or after workout! What would you prefer?
Protein shake: before workout
The main goal of spending hours at the gym is to shed extra pounds and build muscle mass, right? However, how do we know when to teck protein shake: before or after workout?
Let us first take protein shakes before workout.
People who love to start their day with a workout usually drink black coffee to boost their energy in the morning. However, we recommend starting your day with 1 or 2 scoops of protein shake instead of black coffee. Drinking protein shake 30 minutes before workout will be useful during resistance training. Protein drinks have a high level of energy that gives the body a kickstart and do better in the gym. It keeps the body on track and gives her a signal to repair muscle loss and growth. Therefore, the takeaway message is that drinking protein shake before workout is ideal during morning sessions. Also, you are free to take a protein shake before workout during the evening if you’re working and do not have time to cook something healthy.
Protein shake: After workout
Experts advise that protein shakes work best after gym sessions. Some people prefer to consume protein shakes after a workout. Drinking protein shakes after a workout is the fastest way to fulfill muscle mass and complete the protein necessity in the body. Moreover, after intense weight training, the body also loses lots of muscle mass. Therefore, if you take two scoops of protein within 30 minutes of workout sessions, it helps to satisfy the body’s requirements for proteins. Also, you will feel full for long, and you will not crave anything unhealthy during late nights.
Moreover, post-workout protein shakes are beneficial for those who do not cook anything immediately after the session. Also, post-workout protein shakes are helpful during the evenings before dinner as they help satisfy the evening cravings. This is the best way to avoid munching over bad carbs.
How much protein shake before or after a workout should I consume?
Is it quite fine to drink protein shakes daily? What is the ideal protein dosage? Every person has these doubts who are new to the fitness world. Out of shyness, they do not ask their trainers or gym coach. However, it is very important to consume what suits your body best. For example, if you and your friend do the same workout every day and have the same fitness coach. Even your diets are similar. But, your friend got into shape, and you did not even lose weight. Do you know why?
Let me help you clarify the fact that everyone has a body type. Some of us are fast, and others have a slow metabolism. Therefore, if your friend is consuming 3 gms of protein and doing the same exercise and showing great results, that means that particular type of exercise and diet suits your friend. Maybe, he has a better metabolism than you. However, for you, this 3 gms of protein is too much. Your body is not able to handle it and is converting into fat.
Also, experts recommend you to take around .8 gms of protein as per your body weight in kgs. For example, if you weigh 55 kgs, your daily protein intake should be 55*0.8=44gms.
Using this formula, you can calculate your protein intake. Also, the ideal protein shake for an adult man is 55-56 gms, and for an adult woman is 44-46 gms.
However, when calculating how much protein shake should we consume? Let me tell you that protein shakes are a great source of natural protein. Experts recommend you to drink 2 scoops (1 in the beginning) as it covers around 25-30 gms of protein requirements.
High protein diet plans: Are they safe?
Well, the solution to this question is quite contrary. High protein diet plans are one of the best diet plans proved effective in shedding weight. However, excess of anything is harmful to your body and mental health. Let us check out the bad effects of a high protein diet:
- There is no doubt that the high-protein diet plan is good for your health. However, continuing the same diet plan for a longer period may create boredom in your life. Also, due to this, the cravings for sugar and processed food increase. Therefore, it is okay to lose control once in a while.
- Adding lean proteins to a diet is one thing. However, not including healthy carbs with proteins is very bad for health. As a result, it can make your body nutritional deficient. It simply means you are inviting diseases into your body.
- Experts advise you not to include red meat or dairy in your daily diet. It can cause serious damage to your heart.
- Moreover, protein remains in the human body for a longer period. Digesting lean protein is a complex process. This is why it keeps your belly full for a long time. However, people with kidney issues should not include too much protein in their diet. Moreover, the symptoms of kidney disease get worse if you take protein-rich foods every day.
Best protein choices for non-vegetarians, vegetarians, and vegans
It isn’t easy to choose the right protein for you. Vegetarians have very limited choices when fulfilling the daily protein requirements. However, it is very easy for non-vegetarians as they have several protein-rich options.
Check out the best protein options for non-vegetarians, vegetarians and vegans:
- Quinoa: One of the best protein-rich foods for vegans and vegetarians. There are almost 120 types of quinoa available in the market. Quinoa is a rich plant-based protein and has a good taste too. Like any other protein food, it keeps you feeling full for a long period. Also, quinoa is gluten-free but tasty for people who are allergic to gluten.
- Nuts and seeds: Eating nuts and seeds are the best way to handle craving. During evenings or late nights, it becomes impossible to manage to crave. Therefore, instead of munching over any unhealthy snacks. Try eating nuts and seeds. Just make a mixture of roasted nuts and seeds and eat a handful every day. This way, it becomes easy to control your hunger and helps to avoid eating anything unhealthy.
- Peas: I have not come across many people who like their peas. But for vegetarians, it is the best source of protein-based plants. A handful of peas contains approx 7-9 gms of protein. So, if you love veggies, there is no other best option for you.
- Dairy: There is no doubt that dairy products are protein-rich! From milk to Tofu, you can prefer anything you want. Other dairy products including curd, yogurt, cheese, buttermilk, etc., are high-protein foods good for your health.
- Non-vegetarian sources include fish, red meat, seafood, shrimp, Turkey, chicken breasts, eggs, etc.
Conclusion: Protein shake before or after workout
This article is very helpful for gym enthusiasts. Read this article if you’re looking for the right time to take protein shakes. Thank you for your time. Take care and be safe!