Sinuses are basically air-filled cavities located in our forehead, eyes, cheeks, and nasal passages which work as a filter by making sure that no bacteria can enter the body. To function appropriately they form mucus to catch infections and excrete them through the nasal way. Furthermore, any sort of blockage in its proper functioning leads to sinus pressure, congestion, or even infections. From high fever and coughing to headache and stuffy nose, there are many consequences you may suffer from this. So, to help you in this matter, we prepared a complete guide answering “How to relieve sinus pressure with fingers” which is one of the most effective, quick, and organic ways to heal.
Table of Contents
What is sinus pressure?
As shared above, the sinus is basically cavities on the sides of your head and face which regulates the air and mucus flow to excrete dirt, infection, or any other bacteria from the body. This excretion happens from the nose. But if in case your sinus spot becomes swollen then it narrows down that passage which makes the mucus stuck inside and also prohibits proper breathing.
As a result of this sinus pressure, an individual feels extreme headache, pain behind the eyes, swollen nose, teary eyes, and more other health problems. However, this pressure can be relieved by following prescribed medication, home remedies, or finger massage.
How to relieve sinus pressure with fingers?
Doing a gentle massage with your fingers over the sinus points can result in decreased inflammation, better circulation of mucus, and increased blood flow which helps in getting instant relief from sinus pressure. To know about the best way to do the same, read the below-shared points:
1. For frontal sinus pressure point
The frontal sinus pressure point is located at the inner corners of the eyebrows and it can be easily relieved by following the below-mentioned steps:
- First of all, warm up your hands or wash them under hot water. Once done, take your index finger and middle finger of both hands on either side of the nose curve.
- Now, trace the fingers gently upward to the orbital bone which is located near the eyebrows or eye bone. This tracing with fingers should go in a slope-up manner.
- Next, when your fingers reach the eyebrows, give a little pressure to the point and massage there for a couple of seconds in a circular motion with your fingers only.
- After that, slope down your fingers from the same path to the nose curves and relieve the sinus pressure effortlessly. Repeat this for about ten to twenty seconds. While doing this, make sure that you are gentle and that your eyebrows don’t go beneath your massaging fingers.
2. Do the frontal sinus pinch
Frontal sinus pinch is one of the ways to relieve the sinus pressure of the areas around your eyes and to do this, the steps the mentioned below:
- First of all, warm up your hands by rubbing or washing them under hot water. Once done, take your both hands to either eyebrow.
- Next, make a pinch with your index finger and thumb to the inner corners of your eyebrows and gently start squeezing them.
- Make sure that you go slowly and softly from the inner to outer corners of the eyebrows which may take around three to four pinches across the brows.
- Repeat this massage around five to six times and get freedom from sinus pressure in the most natural way.
3. Do the maxillary sinus sweep
Maxillary sinus pressure points are located near the nasal cavities and to relieve its discomfort, you should follow the below shared finger massaging steps:
- First of all, rub your hands to make them warm. Once done, take your index finger of both hands on the base of the nose (near the nostrils).
- Now, press that spot gently and move your fingers in a circular motion from the nostrils, below the cheekbones, and ears to eyebrows and then downwards to the nostrils base again.
- Once you figure out the correct motion, start doing this finger massage in clockwise and anticlockwise motion about five to six times and get instant relief from sinus pressure.
4. For maxillary sinus pressure point
One of the other ways to get relief from sinus pressure is to follow the below-shared finger massaging steps:
- First of all, make your hands warm and put the index finger of both hands on either side of the nostrils which are located at the top of the smile lines.
- Now, let your fingers rest there for a moment and gradually put a little pressure on that spot.
- After that, make circular or rotating movements there without moving your index fingers.
- Do this finger massage for about ten to twenty seconds with less pressure and get amazing relief from sinus pressure.
5. Do the frontal sinus sweep
It is one of the best answers to “How to relieve sinus pressure with fingers” as it gives very much relaxation from sinus congestion and inflammation. To know about its steps, read the below-shared points:
- First of all, warm up your hands and then take your fingertips of both hands to either inner corners of the eyebrows.
- Now, push your fingertips upward until they touch the hairline.
- Next, slowly sweep your fingertips from there to the outer corner of the eyebrows.
- Once you get the motion, repeat this finger massage about five to six times and see the results.
Home remedies for relieving sinus pressure
There are a few effective methods through which you can relieve sinus pressure at your home only and to know about them specifically, read the below shared points:
- Take enough steam: Taking good steam helps in thinning mucus, giving moisture to the sinus passage, and fighting the bacteria. For this, all you have to do is take a good hot shower, install a humidifier in your home, or breathe for five minutes over a pot of hot water.
- Have a good nap: Taking proper sleep helps in relieving sinus pressure as it promotes recovery and growth of white blood cells. Not only this but it also gives freshness to an individual. For this home remedy, all you need to do is follow some bedtime hygiene rules which include a clean bed, hot shower, dim lighting, silence, elevated pillow, and so on.
- Keep yourself hydrated: Drinking plenty of water helps in giving moisture and reducing any sort of congestion in the sinus. For this, all you need to do is consume a minimum of four liters of water, herbal tea, water-based vegetables, soups, juices, shakes, and so on.
- Do physical activity: Doing yoga or any exercise helps in increasing blood circulation, relieving congestion, boosting healing, and easing up breathing. Being active with your body movements can help you a lot in this situation.
- Use eucalyptus oil: Natural eucalyptus oil has cineole in it which speeds up the healing of viral sinus infection. You can use this oil in your bathing water or in a vaporizer to get better and quicker relief from sinus discomfort.
Tips for relieving sinus pressure
There are a few things and measures that you should follow in your day-to-day life to get relief or decrease the symptoms of sinus pressure. Some of those precautionary steps are mentioned below so have a look at them.
- Make sure that you always wear a mask while going outside or cleaning your home so that no bacteria enters your body through your nose and mouth.
- Try to avoid places with pollution or dust and get fresh air whenever you have free time.
- Try to do pranayama and other respiratory exercises or yoga daily for about 20 minutes as it helps in giving immunity to the body and cleans the nasal passage.
- Stay away from dust-prone or cold-temperature areas as it may result in a sinus infection.
- In times of excessive sinus pressure or inflammation, put a hot and damp towel on your nose to get relief.
1. What are the factors that may bring sinus pressure symptoms?
Pollution, allergens in the air, sinus infection, and common cold are a few factors that may cause sinus pressure symptoms in an individual.
2. What are some home remedies to cure sinus pressure?
Taking a hot bath, drinking plenty of water, getting good sleep, practicing yoga, taking steam, using eucalyptus oil, getting a hot damp cloth, and so on are some of the home remedies that you can try at home and get relief from sinus pressure.
3. What are some effective OTC remedies to relieve sinus pressure?
Vapor rubs, nasal decongestants, antihistamines, and expectorants are a few OTC remedies that may help you a lot in getting freedom from the discomfort of sinus pressure.
4. How to relieve sinus pressure with fingers?
Massaging the frontal sinus and maxillary sinus in different motions can help in overcoming the consequences of sinus pressure. From pinching the sinus points to sweeping with fingers, there are a lot of ways through which you can command the sinus pressure.
5. Where are the different types of sinuses?
Maxillary sinuses, Ethmoidal sinuses, Sphenoid sinuses, and frontal sinuses are the four types of sinuses that are connected to an individual’s nasal passage.
Above we shared a brief guide answering “How to relieve sinus pressure with fingers” along with its other aspects like introduction, home remedies, and tips which might have helped you understand this health concern and its solution in a better way. However, in case of major issues or discomfort due to sinus pressure, an individual must visit an ENT doctor as soon as possible. Last but not least, if you have any further queries then please ask them freely through the comment box mentioned below.
Preeti Jha is a young writer who loves reading, writing, and using words in the crispiest and clearest way possible. She has 3+ years of industry experience and holds a very good command over language and representation of content. She believes in hard work and dedication when it comes to winning any milestone or getting loyal readers. From reporting and anchoring to writing and radio jockeying, she has an interest in various fields of mass communication.